How to Make Your Own Citrus Enzyme Cleaner For Free
Are you looking for a natural way to clean your home for free? If so, you may want to consider making your own citrus enzyme cleaner. This type of cleaner is made by fermenting citrus fruits, such as lemons, limes, and grapefruits, with a little brown sugar.
The fermentation process takes 4-6 weeks, but it is well worth the wait as citrus enzyme cleaner is one of the best natural cleaners you can find. Not only is it effective at cleaning dirt and grime, but it is also gentle on surfaces.
If you are interested in making your own citrus enzyme cleaner, read on for a step-by-step guide!
Ingredients: – 1-2 cups of citrus peels (lemons, limes, grapefruits, oranges) – 1 cup of brown sugar – 2-3 cups of water – Glass jar with a tight-fitting lid Instructions:
1. Save citrus peels from lemons, limes, grapefruits, or oranges. Remove as much of the white pith as possible, as it can make the enzyme cleaner bitter.
2. Cut the peels into small pieces and place them in a glass jar.
3. Add brown sugar and water to the jar until it is almost full. Leave some space at the top for the fermentation gases.
4. Close the lid tightly and give the jar a good shake to mix everything together.
5. Label the jar with the date and contents, and store it in a cool, dark place.
6. Shake the jar every day for the first week to release the gas that builds up during fermentation.
7. After 3-4 weeks, the citrus enzyme cleaner should be ready. Strain the liquid into a separate container and discard the leftover peels.
8. Dilute the citrus enzyme cleaner with water (1:3 ratio) and use it to clean surfaces, including floors, countertops, and bathrooms.
Tips: – Use organic citrus fruits to make the cleaner, as pesticide residues can affect the fermentation process. – Do not use metal utensils or containers during the fermentation process, as they can react with the acidic citrus and affect the quality of the cleaner. – The citrus enzyme cleaner can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 months. Shake well before using. In conclusion, making your own citrus enzyme cleaner is a cost-effective and eco-friendly way to keep your home clean. With just a few ingredients and some patience, you can have a natural cleaner that is safe, effective, and smells great!